Tuesday, February 15, 2005

STEVE NATSCHKE, a reader of this blog, writes a kind email; he's returned to civilian life after being in active duty at CENTCOM for two years:
Speaking for myself and my family, I'd like to thank Spain for their troops and their sacrifice in Iraq. While they were there they did a great job and it was unfortunate that they were pulled out before the original date. Please pass along our gratitude to others.
He provides some details of the Spanish troops deployment there:
I read many of the reports coming in to the CENTCOM headquarters from the people on the ground in Iraq. The efforts by Poland and Spain are unique. Poland is the lead country of the Multi-National Division Center South. Spain was the lead country for one of the brigades that made up that division. That brigade was made up of not only Spanish soldiers but of soldiers from Latin American countries as well. Most people don't appreciate the difficulties associated with commanding troops from a county other than your own. It becomes very complex. That Poland and Spain took this on is a tribute to their militaries. This is especially so since most countries do not necessarily build their militaries around deploying abroad.
It takes very competent people and a lot of hard work to coordinate a multi-national deployment.
So, with his permission to republish his email, I copy this (also in the Spanish edition) so his words reach others in my country who also support the Iraq operation.

And above all, thank you too, sir, for your service and your commitment to freedom.

Steve is going to be in Madrid in a few weeks; I hope to meet him in person if I have the chance of being there during his stay, or if he decides to hop to Barcelona. Beers are on me.

UPDATE. My buddy Manel comments.