Saturday, April 22, 2006

AFTER GOOGLE, YAHOO OR CISCO now it's Skype who is apparently censoring in China.

If you're angry at them for that, you must know there are alternatives. Skype is a good idea, and technically it works fine (sound quality is great), and a big advantage is that it doesn't require hardly any configuration. But personally I favor the SIP standard which is completely transparent with POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service). I have several providers and not only I can have numbers in the US and in Spain (like Skype), but I can use it flexibly, both on my PCs and in a phone handset. In my studio I use a 4-line desk phone with 3 different VoIP providers, and on the road I use the X-PRO softphone in my laptop. All transparent, with the possibility of interconnection and completely integrated in the regular phone network wherever I happen to be. And no, I'm not a techie, not at all; I simply don't mind spending some time figuring how these things work, but I admit a lot of people simply prefer using something that doesn't require a tricky configuration. Still, it's good to know there are alternatives.

Click here to send me an email